There are a lot of thrills that come with being a first-time home owner, but there are also some tasks that may have never crossed your mind. Your brand new homes in Chelsea AL are a great investment, and by purchasing a new home, you have more security that there won’t be any major unexpected problems and repairs. Still, to keep your home in like-new condition as much as possible, further maintaining its value, there are certain maintenance tasks that should be done on a regular basis, be it seasonal, annual, or sometimes every few months. Here are some of the most typical maintenance tasks that new home owners should keep in mind and even schedule in advance so you don’t forget.
- Change your HVAC filters. This is something that may need to be done quarterly, essentially with each new season. Definitely change them out when you switch from air conditioning to heating and again when switching to AC. However, depending on the amount of use, you may want to change them every three months to ensure they’re not making your system work harder than necessary. This small investment in time and money can result in bigger savings in your energy bills and keep your system running smoothly for longer. You should also have your HVAC system serviced once a year to make sure there are no problems on the horizon.
- Clean your gutters. Now is a good time for homeowners to start looking into cleaning their gutters, depending on how rainy it is and how many leaves have fallen. The more clogged they are, the more likely water will work its way into your home.
- Clean your garbage disposal. This is something that should be done regularly, as food inevitably builds up and can cause unpleasant odors. From simple home remedies to official cleaning products, the choice is up to you but make sure you clean regularly.
- Dust the coils of your fridge. Every few months, pull your refrigerator out and give the coils a cleaning to get rid of dust and grime. It will help your fridge work more efficiently and will also extend the life of it.
- Clean your dryer vent. Another appliance that needs regular maintenance is your dryer. Fortunately, all you need to do is clean out the inside dryer vent with each use and occasionally check the outer vent if possible to make sure there are no clogs. It will dry faster and work better for longer.
- Check your smoke detectors and update your fire extinguisher. You never want to have to use them, but should you need them, you want them working! Test your smoke detectors regularly though most will let you know when the battery is running low. You should also have a fire extinguisher in your home. Check it to make sure it hasn’t expired or mark a calendar for when it needs to be replaced.
- Flush your water heater. You may want to hire someone to do this, though it can be done by the homeowner if you carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions. The reason to do this is that sediment often builds up in the water heater and can cause problems down the line.
These are the initial maintenance tasks you’ll need to take care of during the first year of moving into one of the new homes in Chelsea AL. Over time, there are other tasks you’ll need to do, such as resealing your driveway and deck, checking on window and bathroom caulking, checking the attic and crawlspace for leaks, checking weather sealing, and touching up any exterior paint if necessary. Many of these jobs you can do on your own, or in some cases you may want to hire someone. Ultimately, just make sure they’re done and your home will look better, work more efficiently, maintain more value, and even save you money by working more efficiently. Those are plenty of good reasons to make the effort!Tags: homebuilder in chelsea al, homes for sale in Chelsea AL, new homes in Chelsea AL
This post was written by Scotch Homes